Monday, February 1, 2010

One Angel, Three Portrayals... In Someways It Is Fallen

About a week ago, I went to spend my Sunday watching angels destroy the world in Legion. The first 18-rated movie of the year I have seen in ages where there are absolutely NO cuts. Angels possessing inferior mortals, angels swearing at humans, and humans cursing at angels.

Which satisfies me because last year's Inglorious Basterds was as every bit ass-kicking and bloody as were my expectations. But the real basterds weren't the Jews or the Nazis; the Malaysian censorship board cropped about 1/10 of the movie's best parts! It would definitely be just the same as attending a rock concert, but telling the band to keep the music down. Such injustice.

Anyway, I admire the bold approach given to God's messengers in the film industry, though for the light of me, it puzzles me that Gabriel is always portrayed as the Angel With The Darkest Personality, The Fallen Angel (or something like that).

I had to post these pictures because they are all my favourite, unique representations of how something so good and pure can be pictured as fallen... As Gabriel.


1. Tilda Swinton from Constantine. Androgynous angel bent on making Earth a living Hell. Loses its wings in the final confrontation with Lucifer and becomes mortal.

2. Andy Whitfield in Gabriel. Sent by the Arcs to combat the Fallen in the war to claim Purgatory. There's a scene where he learns of a fellow Arc's death that he becomes possessed with rage, corners the responsible Fallen in a gunfight, wins and proceeds to smash the demon's face endlessly with his gun's handle.



3. Kevin Durand of Legion. Leads the angels in Earth's destruction but is intervened by the protagonist Michael. Fear his war hammer and razor sharp wings.

No comments:

Post a Comment