Friday, December 31, 2010

Summing Up My Year - In Film

Well, this is it. This marks my final blog post.

Of 2010, that is.

It's really hard to sum up my year, but if I could make a comparison, I know exactly what to say:

The year 2010 has been the longest movie I've ever seen.

It started off quite well, with me having taken the next step in my education and gone on to university. A lot less bordered on the choice of subjects, and certainly a lot more leeway on the time and knowledge given.

Funny how I mentioned the word movie, because this year will always remind me of taking up Film and Television Studies. A small and minor elective, it may appear to be, but it has been the most memorable time I've ever had studying.

People have even came up to me and asked if I would be going into the film business.

Who knows? Perhaps I will do so. Hey, I'm even doing film screenplay in Screen Theories and Techniques next year!

There have been some bittersweet moments as well; the most I will remember is having known my Film Studies lecturer for only half a year. It wasn't exactly the same without having Mr. Ben around - like losing a good friend, but one that I wish I got to know a lot better.

And being a movie buff, this year has also marked probably the most number of movies I've seen ( I've made track of a list of films from last year, too).

Here's a quick list of the best films to grace the silver screen this year, in my opinion:

1. Inception: Keep dreaming, Christopher Nolan. The idea of crossing the levels of dreams and manipulating them may not be original, but it certainly seems that way when you make dreams become a reality in our eyes.

2. Let Me In: Bring back some of the long-forgotten ideologies of the vampire, make a twist on the original plot of a certain movie craze that really sucks, and you've got a tale of innocence that shares her name with evil.

3. Kick-Ass: Quite frankly, a movie that lives up to its title. Of course, the story's main focus is on Hit Girl, but that's why we're all into rated-18. Her tongue is just as sharp as her weapons she uses to cut down her enemies.

4. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Nuff said with the first name. Though I hate David Yates for butchering the previous two movies, this one really lights the tip of the wand. Now let's all wait anxiously for Part 2.

5. Toy Story 3: A definite winner for Best Animated Picture. Disney never fails to inspire us with bringing back our childhood memories of our favourite toys. It's sad that we have to let them go sooner or later.

6. Legend of the Guardians: Happy Feet just takes to the skies with owls in its place. With the 3 Vs of violence, vivid and visuals in the storyline, the effects will simply take your breath away. Oh, and plenty of show-stealing characters to hoot about, as well.

I've also seen a great number of movies that were filmed in previous years, for the very first time.

A list that includes Carrie (1976), Rain Man (1988), The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada (2005), The Orphanage (2007), and one of my favourites: American Psycho (2000).

I don't think I can beat the record for this list next year, but I sure as hell am going to try.

Oh yeah, this was also the year that I got myself into writing short stories. It surprised me that it was doing great on Facebook as well, which is why I'm making a New Year's Resolution to churn out more stories before I head back to uni again.

So for those who are reading this, yes, you'll definitely be getting a load to hear from me.

Happy New Year, everyone! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment